Thursday, May 04, 2006

Damn, that was quick...

Apparently, when Bruce Arena alerted his alternates that they did not, in fact, make the World Cup team, he included a little reminder of what happened in the 2002 lead-up when two alternates were called. He could very well send a follow-up e-mail that just says "See what I mean?" For a mere 24 hours after the US squad was announced, one player has already been replaced. Frankie Hejduk has been diagnosed with a torn ACL, and Chris Albright has been called up to replace him.

Changing a World Cup squad 24 hours after you've announced it has to be some kind of world record. In any case, this renders my Hejduk vs. Albright comparisons of 48 hours ago completely moot.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

Frankie will indeed be sorely missed, but I'm confident Onyewu, Gibbs and Pope can keep things steady in the back . my only quibble with Arena's squad is I would have loved to see Twellman get the call over Wolff