Sunday, June 17, 2007

US-Panama

My full match report will be posted on the mothership later this weekend, but a few isolated thoughts.

I'd like Panama a lot more if they didn't combine some pretty intense physical play with whining incessantly every time they are called on it. Throw in the rolling around on the ground after every contact, and you have an unpalatable brew. In trying to throw the US off their rhythm, I think they managed to psyche themselves out instead. Hilariously, the Panamanian coach was still at it after the game, claiming that the referee was thirty yards away and the penalty was unfair. Son, I was a hundred fifty yards away and it looked pretty obvious to me.

That said, they're a dangerous team, and maybe deserved better in this game. They got their best results when they picked up on Bornstein, who looked shaky when put under direct pressure. Not the best outing for him. If Panama stop the ref-gaming, they'll be a fun team to watch when qualifers begin. Perez in particular was always a threat.

It was another kind of drowsy performance for the US. Donovan and Twellman seemed to be competing for who could waste the most chances. Most of the team seemed to be at 80% speed. Even Mastroeni's shin-crunching tackles were doled out with langor. I'd kind of like to see the US fall behind against Canada just to see how they would respond. Has the US even been behind in the Bradley era yet? I forget.

When it comes to swag, CONCACAF beat MLS hands down. After supplying my 2007 stationary needs earlier this week, there were free t-shirts for the quarterfinals. I even stole an extra one, since they were littering the press box. My wife said they look hideous, but I think this electric blue works for me.

No comments: