Saturday, June 16, 2007

Oh! Canada.

So yesterday I made a lot of Gold Cup predictions, but the one I was most confident of was that the Canada-Guatemala game would like watching an expanded version of Heaven's Gate: violent and more or less unwatchable. Therefore, I dallied before coming to Gillette. I mowed the lawn. I did some dishes. I walked out to get a zeppole. So when I arrived I was rather shocked to find that Canada dominated this game, winning 3-0, and outshooting Guatemala 8-1 in what was essentially a home game for the Chapines. Go Canada! I just heard the press conference, and the Guatemalan coach sounded utterly stunned.

I think Canada has a decent shot in 08 qualifying. They have a good young squad. Toronto FC is going to give some squad players some decent match experience. They'll probably have Radzinzki back for qualifying--he's past his best but still can do damage in this region. What they'll need to do is demonstrate they can get results in Central America.

Your goal hero today was Ali Gerba, whom I had never heard of, but who apparently once played for the late Miami Fusion.

No comments: