Friday, June 29, 2007

U-20



Meanwhile, in the Northern hemisphere, the FIFA U-20 World Cup is about to start. If you're keen on seeing some of the talent that will be breaking on the world football scene in a few years, clearly this is the tournament to watch. In doing so, you'll be joined by hundreds of scouts from top clubs. So if Josy Altidore and/or Freddy Adu have excellent tournaments, they could find themselves with fat European contracts.

Standing in their way are Brazil, Poland, South Korea, and the fact that their squad is coached by Thomas Rongen. Oh and perhaps also their boyish impulses in a city with a vibrant night life. However their prep for the tournament has been strong, including wins against Chile and a closed door match against New Zealand.

The US will play their matches in Olympic Stadium, which I had thought been condemmed, but can apparently still host events with a relatively minimal risk of concrete blocks falling. I passed by it on my trip (on the way to the Botanical Gardens) and took the above picture; I love the way it looms like a claw over east Montreal. Apparently, ticket sales are good--I've utterly forgotten where I read this, but apparently they're the second highest for a U-20 World Cup.

2 comments:

michele said...

I would believe that ticket sales for the FIFA U20 are brisk - there's certainly a lot of promotion north of the border here, and I'm in a part of the country that's a good three day drive from Montreal.

For some reason though, my one (soccer-playing) daughter has decided she wants to watch the Wimbeldon finals instead... don't know where that came from!

Alex M said...

Hope the rain broke her heart.