Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Return of the Conspiracy

After a break of a little less than a year, I've decided to restart my international soccer blog, Kicker Conspiracy. I ran ir for about six months prior to the World Cup and then took an extended break, partly for personal reasons (too much work) and also for practical reasons (not enough international soccer). But now both those situations have remedied themselves, and so here I am!

Another factor in the relaunch was the announcement that ESPN would broadcast Euro 2008 matches here in the United States. The US's performance in the World Cup was poor, but World Cup 2006 generated a certain degree of momentum in terms of the way soccer is covered and discussed in the US. It was the first time I can recall when soccer was considered not so much as a cute foreign curiosity, but as an actual sport in which we as a nation had an investment.

So anyway, a quick restatement of purpose is in order. This blog will predominately cover international soccer. It's not that I don't like club football--in fact I cover MLS for American Soccer News and I love the EPL--but, I gotta have some limits. I'll talk the most about CONCACAF and UEFA, the areas I know best, but I'll try to say something about the other regions as well. I'm also interested in the relationship between soccer and culture, so there'll be a post or two on that from time to time.

Right now I must dash; I'm at Gillette Stadium for the US-El Salvador Gold Cup match, about which I'll post more later. Thanks for reading and please comment copiously! (Unless your a spambot.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to limit yourself?