Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Subjectivity and Cuauhtemoc Blanco

The inherent subjectivity of blogging is both the strength and weakness of the medium. We can see this most prominently in political weblogs, which are more closely related to editorials than they are actual news stories. Personally, I'm attracted to that aspect of the blog world; since a well-supported and closely argued point of view--even if it's a perspective you disagree with--can often be more intellectually stimulating than the he-said, she said discourses of the "mainstream media" that pass for objectivity.

That being said, I also like juvenile snark. And so we come to the case of Cuauhtemoc Blanco, who was left off the provisional 26-man Mexico squad announced this week by Ricardo Lavolpe.

If I were writing about this story for ASN, I'd need to be objective about this. I'd undoubtedly focus on the effect the omission will have on Mexico's goalscoring chances (none at all.) Or I might speculate on the effect this will have on the unity of Mexico's squad (again, probably none at all, since he's barely been capped over the last few years.)

But I'm not. So let me instead say that say that I find Blanco's omission, and his subsequent puzzlement at it, very funny. And let me go in to say that I'll enjoy the World Cup just a teeny-weeny little bit more for him not being there. I won't have to see that stupid and basically useless bunny-hop move. I won't get to see his displays of pure class, such as when he almost punched Pablo Mastroeni while Mastroeni was lying on the ground.

(One bit of non-snarkage. If Mexico go down in flames at the World Cup, Blanco's omission will be the first piece of explanatory evidence used against him, just as Harkes's was against Steve Sampson in 98. And I'll bet you a doughnut that the first person to point it out will be Lavolpe bete-noire Hugo Sanchez.)

1 comment:

michele said...

It's nice to see that this kind of thing happens all over sports and not just around hockey. There was plenty of snark going around when Bertuzzi was named to Team Canada in the Olympics, and a few who blamed bad karma for Canada's inability to take home a medal.